Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Single's Awareness Day!

My friends and I have interesting and somewhat humorous conversations around the water cooler, and the same subject comes up on an annual basis.... Valentine's Day, or as many of my acquaintances and I have known it as: Single's Awareness Day. We'll talk about how obnoxious it is to walk the halls of the high school (or at least attempt to) in the masses of PDA and oversized stuffed animals. We also have a wide array of personalities in our group... some choose to dress up in an assortment of hearts, while others celebrate the day wearing black. (:You know who you are:) Upon the preparation for this great holiday, my mom gave me a book, because sadly, it reminded her of a few of my friends and I. It is entitled, "The UnValentine" by Sam Beeson. This is a poem combined with hilarious illustrations that tell the story of Lily. Lily does not believe in love, and is quite disgusted by the "holiday half-way through the frigid month of February." Upon reading this, I must admit that humor met reality. I thought back to a tradition in the YW of our ward. For the last few years, the leaders have made it a point to have a flower or small stuffed animal in the front office of the schools for all of the YW in our ward. The even sweeter thing about this is what is attatched to it: a quote, usually from the Prophet, reminding us of the Savior's love for us. As I thought back to this the other night, a light bulb struck me in the head. Who ever said that Valentine's Day is a day to solely celebrate the love between couples? How shallow would that be? The only difference is that this is the focus the world puts on the holiday, and in turn we faithfully follow the concrete word of what our televisions teach us. To me, Valentine's has become more than "Single's Awareness Day." It's a day to be grateful for the loving relationships we have with parents, siblings, dear friends, and most certainly the love that we share with our Savior and Heavenly Father. I can tell you that this change in perspective has made all the difference today. I don't have to be a mopey statistic who buys herself flowers and chocolate, because I have so much more at home and at school than that, and for that I am grateful.
Happy Valentine's Day! I love all of you!

1 comment:

Shannon and Andrew said...

You are wise beyond your years...seriously you are amazing. I love you.